(2/3) “Surinaamse Bami”
– 1 pack of spaghetti (500 gr)
– Chinese dark soy sauce
– Pre-spiced soy sauce (from the local toko)
– 1 large onion
– 4 garlic cloves
– 2 large tomatoes
– 3 spring onions
– 1 galangal (Laos) stump (3 by 4 cm)
– 2 stems of lemongrass
– 1 Madame Jeannette pepper
– 1 shrimp paste (Trassi) (3 by 2 cm)
– 3 salam leaves
– 20 gr celery
– 1 tsp kencur spice (Kentjur)
– 1 tsp black pepper
Step 1: Spaghetti prep
– Boil water, add a dash of chinese dark soy and oil
– Add the spaghetti
– After the spaghetti is done, rinse it with cold water to avoid sticking and set aside.
Step 2: Marinade
– Put the tomatoes in a bowl and add boiling water. Leave to stand for a while.
– Cut the onions in half rings and press the garlic
– Remove the outer layer of the lemongrass and cut them into chunks of 4 cm. ‘bruise’ them with a mortar – Remove the skin of the Laos and cut them into 4 smaller pieces – Cut the spring onion into thin rings
– The tomatoes should be soft by now. You can peel the skin off and mash them
Step 3: Fry the marinade
– Put some rice oil or sunflower oil in a wok pan on low fire
– Add the trassi, onion, laos, black pepper, kentjur, Madame Jeannette pepper (not cut!🔥), salam leaves and lemongrass and stir-fry a bit
– Add the garlic and mashed tomatoes to the mix
– Add 2 tbsp of the dark soy and 2 tbsp of the spiced soy (gekruide ketjap)
– Cover your pan and let it simmer on low heat for 10 minutes
– In the meantime, chop the celery and set aside
– After 10 min simmer, you can remove the Salam leaves, laos and lemongrass and add the spring onion. Fry for 2 more minutes and put your marinade aside.
Step 4: Bami
– Add a small splash of oil in the pan
– Start with 1 scoop of your marinade in the pan over medium heat – Add the spaghetti little by little (separate strands where necessary)
– Mix it well and repeat it with the next batch
– Bami should brown evenly. Too much spaghetti in the pan at once makes this process more difficult.
– When the bami is evenly brown, top it off with celery. You’re done!
#bami #surinaamseten #recipes #recipeoftheday #suriname #creolefood