These banana chocolate chip muffins are moist, fluffy, buttery and filled with chocolate chips. They taste like a warm slice of banana bread; have perfectly domed, golden muffin tops; and have just the right amount of chocolate chips.
**This recipe was originally posted June 22, 2018 and republished December 1, 2019 with more recipe tips and new photos**
These banana chocolate chip muffins are such an easy recipe and the perfect way to use up brown bananas. They’re soft, super moist, and filled with delicious banana bread flavors – but in fluffy muffin form and filled with chocolate chips. They have the perfect balance of mellow bananas and chocolate. And they also leave your kitchen smelling seriously divine as they bake.
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffin Recipe
You’re going to love the flavor of these muffins first and foremost. They have the perfect banana bread taste that’s sweet, mellow and deliciously banana-y. The banana is complemented by lots of vanilla and brown sugar for even more flavor. And last but not least – there’s tons of chocolate chips in every bite.
Melty chocolate chips and bananas are so delicious together – but if you’re feeling overzealous you could also add 1/2 cup chopped walnuts too. Always use brown, spotty bananas in baking to give your muffins the best flavor.
Here’s the rundown:
- You’ll first whisk together melted butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla. The butter adds so much flavor compared to using oil, and because it’s melted – you don’t need to wait for the butter to soften.
- Then whisk in the milk and mashed bananas. I like to use buttermilk because it makes the muffins softer, but if you don’t have any on hand, 1%, 2% or whole milk work perfectly too.
- After sifting together your dry ingredients, you’ll VERY gently fold the dry ingredients into your banana mixture using a large wooden spoon or spatula. The batter will be very thick.
- When the flour is about 80% mixed in, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Then spoon the batter into the muffin pan, and bake for 16-20 minutes.
- Bananas should be brown for a sweet, mellow flavor. You’ll need 3/4 cup mashed bananas total – which is about 2-3 bananas depending on the size.
- Measure the flour carefully. Too much flour, and your muffins can end up dry.
- With muffins, it’s 100% imperative to not to over mix the batter. Overmixing makes the muffins tough. The batter should be a little lumpy. You can see here what I mean in the photo below.
- Fill your muffin papers to the very top for large, perfectly domed muffins.
So to recap why you’ll love these banana chocolate chip muffins:
- Fluffy, buttery & oh so soft
- Delicious banana bread flavor
- Perfectly golden edges
- Filled with chocolate
- Super easy to make
- A way shorter baking time than making banana bread.
And if you love these banana chocolate chip muffins – try these other muffin recipes too:
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
These Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are moist, fluffy, buttery and filled with chocolate chips. They taste like a warm slice of banana bread and have perfectly domed, golden muffin tops.
Servings: 12 muffins
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour spooned and leveled
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar*
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup mashed bananas about 2-3 brown bananas
- 1/4 cup milk buttermilk preferred
- 1 cup chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 375F. Line a muffin tin with muffin papers. You’ll end up with 12-14 muffins total.
In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
In a second large bowl whisk together the melted butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
Whisk in the mashed bananas and milk.
Gently fold in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Be careful not to over mix.
When the flour is about 80% folded in, fold in the chocolate chips.
Spoon the muffin batter into your prepared muffin pan until each cavity is filled to the top. Optionally sprinkle a few chocolate chips on top of each muffin.
Bake for 16-20 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean (except for melted chocolate).
Allow to cool for 5 minutes in the muffin pan, then remove from the pan and continue cooling on a wire rack for 5-10 minutes before eating.
Calories: 317kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 58mg | Sodium: 80mg | Potassium: 184mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 25g | Vitamin A: 339IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 75mg | Iron: 2mg