Learn how to make classic, homemade blueberry pie – I promise it’s easier than you might think! The filling is sweet, juicy, and full of plump blueberries. Make it when fresh blueberries are in season for the perfect summertime pie. I’ve also included tips on how to make it with frozen berries. AND how to turn this easy recipe into blueberry crumble pie.
I think the best way to celebrate blueberry season is with pie. The juicy, sweet, beautiful berries are the star of the show. Encapsulated in flaky, buttery pastry and topped with vanilla ice cream – it’s pretty hard to beat a slice of blueberry pie.
Blueberry Pie Ingredients
9-inch Double Crust Pie Dough. You’ll need a double crust pie dough recipe here – one for the top, and one for the bottom. You can use my pie dough recipe or your favorite. Store bought pie dough works too if you need to save time.
5 Cups Blueberries. The flavor of your pie relies on your blueberries. The sweeter, juicier, fresher and plumper the better. I recommend using fresh blueberries for the best results. Look through your berries and remove any that have gone bad.
2/3 Cup Sugar. Sugar not only sweetens the pie, but also brings out the juices of the berries and helps thicken the mixture.
1/4 Cup Cornstarch (aka Corn Flour). Cornstarch acts as a thickener and ensures that the pie isn’t too soupy. I like to use cornstarch instead of flour to thicken fruit pies because it has double the thickening power of flour – so you don’t need to use as much.
1 Tablespoon Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice. The lemon juice balances out the sweetness of the blueberries, and the acid helps to bring out the juices.
1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon. Warm spices add flavor and make the pie taste warm and cozy.
1 Large Egg. The egg is whisked together with a little water to create an egg wash. The egg wash is brushed on top of the pastry to make the pie golden brown on top.
Can I Make Blueberry Pie with Frozen Berries?
Yes, but I do recommend using fresh berries when possible. If using frozen berries, thaw the berries fully and drain out the liquid. Blot dry with paper towel.
Basic Steps for How to Make Blueberry Pie
- In a large bowl toss together the blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice and cinnamon. Stir the mixture so the blueberries are evenly coated.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and 2 teaspoons water for the egg wash.
- On a floured surface using a floured rolling pin, roll out 1 pie disc into a circle about 12 inches in diameter.
- Transfer the pie dough to a 9-inch pie plate, and brush the crust with the egg wash.
- Spoon the blueberry filling on top of the pie crust using a slotted spoon. Do not add the extra liquid from the bottom of the bowl.
- Roll out the second pie disc on your floured surface. Cut into long strips about 1/2 to 3/4 inches wide.
- Place 4-5 strips vertically on top of the pie crust. Weave 4-5 strips horizontally through the vertical strips, going over and under to create a weave.
- Trim the edges of the pie strips.
- Fold over the edges, then crimp with your fingers (or press down with a fork). Brush the top of the pie with the egg wash, and optionally sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in the oven preheated to 400F degrees for 50-60 minutes.
Tips for Making the Best Blueberry Pie
- Throughout the process, you want the pie dough to stay cold. This ensures a flaky crust. I recommend placing the pie back in the fridge for at least 10 minutes before baking in the oven.
- Brushing the bottom pie crust with the egg wash (after placing it in your pie plate), acts as a seal to keep moisture from the blueberry filling out and therefore prevents a soggy pie crust.
- When adding the blueberry filling to the pie crust, do not add the liquid from the bottom of the bowl. This can make the pie soggy.
- Use a pie shield while baking to prevent the crust from burning. If you don’t have a pie shield, simply tent a piece of aluminum foil over your pie about 20-30 minutes into the baking process.
- Let the pie cool fully before slicing.
Blueberry Crumble Pie Variation
For the blueberry crumble pie, the blueberry pie filling ingredients are exactly the same. You will only need one, single pie crust, for the bottom of the pie. Make the pie recipe as stated below up until step 8.
Then in a medium bowl stir together:
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup butter, melted and cooled slightly.
Crumble over top of the blueberry layer, and bake the pie as directed in the recipe below.
For more delicious blueberry recipes, be sure to try:
Learn how to make classic, homemade blueberry pie. The filling is sweet, juicy, and full of plump blueberries. Make it when fresh blueberries are in season for the perfect summertime pie!
Servings: 8 people
- 1 9-inch double crust pie dough
- 5 cups blueberries*
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch aka cornflour
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons water
Preheat the oven to 400F degrees.
Add the blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice and cinnamon to a large bowl.
Stir the mixture so the blueberries are evenly coated.
On a well-floured surface using a floured rolling pin, roll out one disc of pie dough into a circle about 12-inches in diameter.
Transfer the dough to a 9-inch pie plate.
In a small bowl whisk together the egg and water.
Brush the bottom of the pie dough with the egg wash.
Using a slotted spoon, spoon the blueberry mixture into the pie. Do not add the liquid to the bottom of the bowl. Place the pie in the fridge.
Re-flour your work surface and rolling pin, then roll out the second disc of pie dough into a circle about 10 inches in diameter. Cut into strips about 1/2- 3/4 inches thick.
Place 4-5 strips vertically over the pie. Then weave 4-5 strips horizontally, going over and under each of the vertical strips, alternating between which strip goes over and under.
Cut the excess off the edges.
Fold the edges over and crimp with your fingers, or press down with the tines of a fork.
Brush the top of the pie with the egg wash.
Place the pie in the fridge for 10 minutes before baking.
Bake in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes. Use a pie shield to prevent the edges from burning. Or after about 30 minutes of baking, tent a piece of aluminum foil overtop to prevent burning.
Cool fully before slicing and serving.