Brown butter chocolate chip cookies make the best chocolate chip cookies! Soft and chewy, with the perfect ratio of chocolate to cookie (hint: the more chocolate, the better!), these cookies are everything.
Brown butter, plenty of brown sugar, rich chocolate, and a generous shower of flaky salt take the classic chocolate chip cookie to new heights!
Perfect Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Brown Butter – Brown butter adds rich caramel flavor to these cookies! To brown butter, cook butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a medium brown, about 5 minutes. Pour brown butter into a shallow glass bowl or glass measuring cup and chill in the freezer until solidified, about 45 to 60 minutes. Once the brown butter is solid, transfer to your mixer and beat with the sugars until creamy.
Brown butter can be made ahead: once solidified, cover the bowl or measuring cup tightly with plastic and store overnight in the refrigerator. On baking day, bring brown butter to room temperature before using.
Brown Sugar – Light brown sugar or dark brown sugar are both delicious in these cookies. If you opt for dark brown sugar, the cookies will bake up slightly darker with a slightly richer flavor from the additional molasses.
Semisweet Chocolate Chips – I love semisweet chocolate chips in these cookies (my favorite are the Ghirardelli Grand chips for the most indulgent chocolate chip cookie!). You can also use dark chocolate chips or a mix of dark and milk chocolate chips.
If you prefer chocolate chunks, go for semisweet chocolate baking bars and use a serrated knife to chop the chocolate bars into chunks. Whether you opt for chips or chocolate chunks, you’ll love the ratio of cookie to chocolate in this recipe.
Flaky Salt – A shower of flaky salt enhances the rich chocolate and caramel notes of these cookies. Sprinkle the cookies with flaky salt as they cool.
Chill – Chill this cookie dough in an airtight container for at least 4 hours (or overnight) before baking. The chill time intensifies the flavor and ensures that the cookies don’t overspread in the oven.
Bake – Bake the cookies for 11 to 12 minutes, rotating baking pans halfway through, until the edges and tops are golden and just set. Remove pans from the oven and let the cookies cool for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
Make Ahead – These cookies can be prepped ahead. Simply scoop the dough out onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and freeze for 1 hour, then transfer the dough balls to an airtight container and freeze up to 2 months. Bake cookies directly from the freezer, adding 1-2 minutes to baking time.
The BEST brown butter chocolate chip cookies! Filled with rich chocolate chips, you’ll love these soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies.
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup light or dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- flaky salt
- Cook butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a deep brown, about 5 minutes. Pour browned butter into a shallow glass bowl or glass measuring cup and chill in the freezer until solidified and the texture of room temperature butter, about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat solidified brown butter and sugars in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until creamy; beat in egg, egg yolk, and vanilla until combined. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture; beat just until incorporated. Fold in chocolate chips. Cover dough and chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (If cookie dough has chilled overnight, let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Form 1 1/2-inch balls of dough and place two inches apart on prepared baking sheets; flatten mounds slightly. Top cookies with chocolate chips, pressing gently to adhere.
- Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 11 to 12 minutes, until edges are golden and set. Sprinkle cookies with flaky salt and let cool 10 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Make Ahead: Scoop the dough out onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Top with chocolate chips. Freeze for 1 hour, then transfer the dough balls to an airtight container and freeze up to 2 months. Bake cookies directly from the freezer, adding 1-2 minutes to baking time.
Keywords: Brown Butter, Chocolate Chip, Chocolate, Cookies
More cookie recipes you’ll love: