Apples and salted caramel are two of my very favorite fall things, and there’s no better way to enjoy this delicious duo than caramel apple coffee cake!
What makes this coffee cake fall perfection? First, we start with my favorite plush and buttery coffee cake. With Greek yogurt, buttermilk, and an extra egg yolk, this versatile base recipe is my go-to whenever I crave coffee cake. Layered with caramelized apples and brown butter streusel topping, this breakfast favorite bakes up fluffy and golden.
Let the coffee cake cool, then drizzle with salted caramel sauce before serving! Pro tip: Save time on baking day by prepping the salted caramel sauce and brown butter topping in advance (store tightly covered in the refrigerator).
Caramel apple coffee cake makes the best fall breakfast! You’ll love this buttery cake layered with caramelized apples, streusel topping and caramel sauce!
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp ice water
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cups diced apples
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray an 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick spray; dust lightly with flour.
- For the streusel, whisk together flour, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl. Cook butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a medium brown, about 5 minutes. Pour browned butter into a glass measuring cup and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Add cooled butter to flour mixture and mix in with a fork until completely incorporated. Add ice water and mix in until streusel is crumbly. Chill until ready to use.
- For the apples, melt butter in the same saucepan over medium heat. Add apples, sugar, and cinnamon; cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until apples start to caramelize and slightly soften. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- For the cake, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter, sugar, and vanilla in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add egg and yolk one at a time and beat well. Combine yogurt and buttermilk in a small bowl. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with yogurt mixture (begin and end with flour mixture).
- Spoon the batter into prepared pan and smooth with an offset spatula. Tap sharply to reduce air bubbles. Use a slotted spoon to spoon apples over the batter, leaving juices behind. Sprinkle chilled streusel over apples.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, until coffee cake is golden, springs back to the touch, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs (start testing after 45 minutes, baking time will vary based on moisture from the apples). Cool in pan on a wire rack for at least 1 hour before topping with caramel sauce and serving.
Keywords: Apple, Caramel, Salted Caramel, Coffee Cake, Breakfast
More caramel apple recipes you’ll love: