DAY 15: LAMB FILO PIE. Serves 4.
I’m working my way through the more boring bits in my freezer but yesterday I found some lovely lamb chunks from @eatgreatmeat
They’re the same butcher I got the brisket from in week 1 (another freezer find!) and I couldn’t recommend them enough – they’re still doing online deliveries and the quality and value for money is amazing so do yourselves a favour and give them a go! 🍖
Usually I would make a lamb stew with wine and veg but I thought I’d go with something different today and use some Middle Eastern spices instead (also the wine is running out so 🤷🏼♀️) Let me know what you think!!
Swipe for step by step pie assembly 👉🏼
From the stockpile:
2 tsp ground mixed spice
2 cloves of garlic
1 star anise
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp hot paprika
1 tbsp flour
1 tin chopped tomatoes
3 tsp honey
From the supermarket:
700g diced lamb
1 pack of filo pastry sheets
1 large knob of butter
1 handful of pomegranate seeds – optional .
1. Add the mixed spice, star anise, cumin, turmeric, salt, pepper and paprika to a bowl and mix them up
2. Add the lamb chunks and marinate them for at least half an hour (or longer if you have time)
3. Once they’ve had some time to absorb the spices, sprinkle with the flour
4. Heat a drizzle of oil in a large pan with a lid over a medium-high heat. Fry the lamb chunks in batches until they start to brown and then set aside.
5. Meanwhile, finely slice the onion and chop or crush the garlic
6. Once all the lamb has been browned, turn the heat down to medium-low and add the onion and garlic (you may need to add a bit more oil if your pan looks dry)
7. Sweat the onions for about 5 minutes
8. While they’re cooking, zest and juice the lemon
9. Once the onions are soft, add the lamb, tinned tomatoes, lemon zest and juice, honey and 200ml water
10. Put the lid on and turn the heat to very low.
11. Cook for an hour, then uncover and cook for another hour (give it a stir every 15 minutes or so to make sure it doesn’t catch)
Continued in comments…..