This is the perfect Keto Sugar Cookie Recipe! These almond flour sugar cookies have the delicious, soft, melt in your mouth texture, just like traditional Lofthouse sugar cookies, and contain about 2 net carbs each!
Today I’m sharing the ultimate low carb sugar cookie recipe! If you are a regular reader you know I’ve been on a mission to master keto cookies this year. My baking obsession started with these Keto Chocolate Chip Cookies and evolved into a white chocolate macadamia and cranberry version. Those cookies are perfectly chewy and are a perfect low carb alternative to the classics we all love.
I’m happy to report these Keto Sugar Cookies are just as good! These soft, pillowy cookies are perfectly sweet and excellent on their own, or with frosting. This is a great gluten free cookie to add to your holiday baking!
Ingredients for Keto Sugar Cookies
- Almond flour
- Coconut Flour
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Granular Monkfruit Sweetener
- Sour Cream
- Vanilla Extract
If you’d like to make the sugar free frosting you will also need: butter, cream cheese, powdered monkfruit sweetener, almond milk or heavy cream, and vanilla extract.
How to make Gluten Free Sugar Cookies
These cookies can be made in just a few simple steps.
- Combine the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and monkfruit sweetener until well blended. Add the egg, sour cream and vanilla extract.
- While the mixer is on low, add the flour mixture until well combined. Wrap the dough ball in plastic wrap and chill overnight.
- Scoop the dough using a 1 inch cookie scoop and bake on a silicone lined baking sheet at 350 degrees F for 9-11 minutes, remove the cookies from the oven while they are still slightly soft in the center, they will finish cooking as they cool.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire baking rack to cool completely.
Do you have to chill sugar cookie dough?
Yes! Chilling the dough is absolutely essential. The cookies have the perfect texture when they have been chilled overnight. However, it is possible to bake these cookies after the dough as chilled as little as two hours.
Cookie dough is chilled to solidify the fat in the dough, which prevents the cookies from spreading too much. If you do not chill the dough, or place the dough on an already warm baking pan it will result in a thin cookie that has spread too much.
How many carbs are in Keto Sugar Cookies?
This recipe makes 24 cookies if you use a small, one inch cookie scoop. When divided into 24 equal portions these keto sugar cookies come to just 1.8 net carbs each.
When you add the sugar free frosting, which is also included with this recipe it adds 1.3 grams of fat and 0.1 grams of carbs.
How do you make sugar free frosting?
Sugar free frosting is simple to make. Frosting is the combination of a few simple ingredients, a fat, sweetener, an extract and sometimes a small amount of liquid. For this keto frosting I combine butter, cream cheese, powdered monkfruit sweetener, vanilla extract and a tiny amount of milk to achieve the right consistency.
I consider this recipe a base recipe because it is easy to customize. You can easily add a different extract such as almond or maple to achieve a different flavor combination.
Other Keto Cookie Recipes
You can never have too many cookie recipes, right? My all time favorite low carb cookie recipe are these Keto Chocolate Chip Cookies, as of this writing this recipe has over two hundred 5 star reviews! They are perfectly flavored with vanilla, dark chocolate chips and pecans. Some of my other favorites include:
If you are short on time and need a cookie recipe that does not require chilling these sheet pan cookies are the way to go! Because they are made in a sheet pan the dough does not have an opportunity to spread. You can make these sweet treats in a matter of minutes with no rolling or chilling! Try these low carb Chocolate Chip Sheet Pan Cookies or these decadent Double Chocolate Sheet Pan Cookies!
For the Keto Sugar Cookies
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated monkfruit sweetener
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Keto Frosting
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners monkfruit sweetener (add 1/2 cup at a time to get your desired consistency and sweetness, you may use slightly more or less depending on your preference)
- 1-2 tablespoons almond milk or heavy cream (use only as needed to thin your frosting to your preference)
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment cream together butter and sugar until blended. Mix in the egg, sour cream, and vanilla extract.
- With mixer set on low speed slowly add in flour mixture and mix until combined.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and shape each into a round disk. Chill for a minimum of 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- When ready to bake preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Scoop the sugar cookies out using a 1 inch cookie scoop and place on a silicone lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes. Remove from the oven when the center is still slightly undercooked, it will finish baking as it cools. Allow the cookies to cool 10 minutes on the baking sheet and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the frosting: Combine the cream cheese, butter, vanilla extract and 1/2 cup of the powdered sugar to a mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer. Add 1/2 cup of the sweetener at a time until it reaches your desired consistancy and sweetness. Use 1-2 tablespoons liquid to thin as needed.
Please note the cooking time is based on using a 1 inch cookie scoop, if you use a larger or smaller size your cooking time can vary.
Nutrition for a frosted sugar cookie: 2.2 net carbs, 7.8 grams fat, 119 calories
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
AmazonBasics Silicone Baking Mat Sheet, Set of 2
Lakanto Monkfruit Natural Sweetener Variety Pack, Classic & Golden Sweetener, 8.29 Oz
Lakanto Monkfruit Sweetener, 1:1 Powdered Sugar Substitute, Keto, Non-GMO (1.76 lbs)
Anthony’s Almond Flour Blanched, 2lb, Batch Tested Gluten Free, Non GMO, Vegan, Keto Friendly
Serving Size: 1 unfrosted cookie (see notes for frosting info)
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 105Total Fat: 6.5gCholesterol: 19.6mgSodium: 82.5mgCarbohydrates: 2.9gNet Carbohydrates: 2.1gFiber: 0.8gSugar: 0.6gProtein: 2.2g