These strawberry cake mix cookies are soft, chewy, a little gooey and filled with chocolate chips. They have a delicious strawberry flavor and the pretty pink color makes them perfect for Valentine’s Day. You’ll love how quick and easy they are to make.
**This post was originally published January 12, 2018 and updated January 28, 2020**
I wanted to make a really easy cookie recipe for Valentine’s day – and these strawberry cake mix cookies are just the thing. The bright pink color, melty chocolate chips & strawberry flavor is the perfect combination. You’ll also love the gooey, soft texture. A lot of cake mix cookies are made with oil – but these are made with butter and cream cheese to give them a creamy flavor and super soft texture.
To be totally honest though, I normally bake from scratch. But if you’re in a pinch or just feel like making a very tasty cookie recipe – then these are just the thing.
Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies
These strawberry cookies only have 5 ingredients:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 oz cream cheese – use full-fat, brick-style instead of lite, whipped or spreadable
- 2 large eggs
- 1 box strawberry cake mix. You’ll need a 15-18 oz box – it should be big enough to make 24 cupcakes.
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
To make the recipe, simply beat together the butter, cream cheese & eggs – then slowly beat in the cake mix. The chocolate chips get folded in, and we’re ready to bake.
The cookie batter is definitely sticky (which is what makes these cookies deliciously gooey and soft), so I recommend using a cookie scoop to form the dough into balls. If you find the dough is too sticky to work with, you can always pop it in the fridge for 30 minutes first.
Our strawberry chocolate chip cookies will bake for about 8-10 minutes, but make sure to watch carefully as they can go from soft and chewy to a little burnt in the matter of a minute.
After they’re done baking I like to add a couple chocolate chips on the top of each for some extra visual appeal (not to mention chocolate).
Baked and cooled cookies can be easily frozen in an airtight container and then thawed overnight in the fridge. However, with this recipe, because the cookie dough is extremely sticky – I don’t recommend freezing the dough.
- Skip the chocolate chips in the batter. Then after the cookies are baked, dip half of each cookie in melted chocolate.
- Switch chocolate chips for white chocolate chips.
- Make cookie sandwiches/homemade Oreos. Skip the chocolate chips, then frost the bottom of one cookie with vanilla (or chocolate frosting) and place a second cookie on top.
- You can actually make this recipe with any variety of cake mix – including lemon, chocolate or red velvet. I don’t recommend using angel food cake however.
So to recap, here’s why you’ll love these strawberry cookies:
- Quick & easy to make
- 5 ingredients
- A little gooey
- Delicious strawberry and cream flavor
- Made with cake mix
- Lots of chocolate
- Perfect for Valentine’s Day
These strawberry cookies are soft, chewy, a little gooey and filled with chocolate chips. Only 5 ingredients and made with cake mix – so they’re a quick and easy cookie recipe.
Servings: 30 cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 3 oz cream cheese*
- 2 large eggs
- 18 oz box strawberry cake mix*
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips semi-sweet, milk, dark, or white
Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
Line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper or baking mats.
In a large bowl beat together the butter, cream cheese and eggs.
Sift in the cake mix and beat everything together.
Turn off the mixer and stir in the chocolate chips.
Form the dough into balls about 1 tablespoon in size – I recommend using a cookie scoop. (If the dough seems too sticky you can place it in the fridge for 10-30 minutes).
Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the tops are just set. Optionally place a few extra chocolate chips on top of each cookie.
Cool the cookies on the cookie sheet for 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to continue cooling.
- Use full-fat, brick style cream cheese. Not lite, spreadable or whipped.
- A 15 oz box of cake mix will also work too.
- Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days. Baked and cooled cookies can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 2 months, then thaw in the fridge before enjoying.
- Nutrition information is based on 1 cookie, with the recipe yielding 30 cookies total.
Calories: 136kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 26mg | Sodium: 133mg | Potassium: 9mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 163IU | Calcium: 43mg | Iron: 1mg