Who doesn’t love a freshly baked homemade chocolate chip cookie (or 3)? 🍪These are vegan so we use either applesauce or flax eggs as the binding agent. The applesauce is my preferred option as it doesn’t leave the eggy aftertaste like flax does, plus it’s sweeter 😉. If you have a super sweet tooth and zero self-control, bear in mind that this recipe makes about 18 or so large cookies and you will need to bake 2 batches. But I don’t see anybody complaining!
* Ingredients *
* 3/4 cup refined coconut oil, melted
* 3/4 cup white sugar
* 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
* 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (you can just pop half a tin of unsweetened pie apples in a blender)
* 2 teaspoons vanilla essence .* 2 1/2 cups cake flour (you can experiment with gluten-free options here ie oat flour)
* 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 1/4 cups vegan chocolate chips (Woolies dark chocolate chunks are the bomb)
1. Mix the coconut oil, sugar, applesauce (or flax eggs made using 2 tbsp flax powder mixed with 6 tbsp water) and vanilla essence in a large bowl.
2. Stir in the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and salt and add the chocolate chips in at the end before the firm(ish) dough forms.
3. Pop the cookie dough into the fridge to chill for about 2 hours. Melted coconut oil in the in unchilled cookies can make these babies overspread and flatten out in the baking tray.
4. Preheat oven to 180 deg C and line a baking sheet with baking paper. Spray with cooking spray if you have some handy.
5. Divide the dough in half and you should be able to make about 9 balls using a tablespoon as a scoop with a good space in between. No need to press them down.
6. Pop in the oven and bake for 12 – 15 minutes, or until the edges brown. The cookies will firm up while they cool. Let the cookies rest for 1 minute before moving them onto a cooling rack. Pop the kettle on, make some tea, and then steal one while it’s still warm, and let the rest cool completely…. yumbo.
#cookies #recipes #vegan #chocolate #chocchipcookies