Zucchini banana bread is ultra moist, extra tender and the most flavorful banana bread you’ll ever try. It’s not too sweet so it’s perfect for breakfast, and a delicious way to use up all your fresh zucchini and brown bananas.
What happens when you combine brown bananas and zucchini? The most delicious banana bread recipe you’ll ever try. Banana bread and zucchini bread are both delicious on their own. But when you marry the two together, the result is sensational.
Zucchini Banana Bread
For this zucchini banana bread – we’re basically taking your classic banana bread recipe and adding in 1 cup of finely grated zucchini. The zucchini adds extra moisture, which makes the bread extra tender. It has that deliciously dense texture that you’d expect from banana bread, but without being heavy. The flavor is somewhere in between a spice cake and a banana bread, with just the right amount of cinnamon.
Here’s the rundown of the recipe:
- First whisk together the dry ingredients – flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda & salt.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the melted butter, sugar, vanilla extract & eggs. Then stir in the mashed bananas.
- Gently fold the dry ingredients into the banana mixture – I do this about 1/2 at a time.
- Then fold in the grated zucchini.
- Pour the batter into a 9×5 inch loaf pan, and bake for 50-60 minutes.
Easy, simple, nothing fancy.
Tips for Making Zucchini Banana Bread
- When grating the zucchini, hold it perpendicular to the grater so you don’t get long strands.
- Blot the grated zucchini with paper towel to remove excess water.
- The batter is thick – this is what you want it to be.
- If your bananas are yellow, you can easily speed up the browning process:
- Place 2 bananas on a cookie sheet (peel on)
- Bake in the oven preheated to 350F for 10-20 minutes or until the peel has browned
- Optionally add in 1 cup chocolate chips or 3/4 cup chopped walnuts.
- Bake in a light colored loaf pan to prevent over browning.
- Do not bake in an 8×4 inch loaf pan. There is too much batter and the loaf with overflow.
- Check the loaf after about 40 minutes, if the top is golden brown already, tent a piece of aluminum foil over top to prevent burning on top and continue baking.
If you love this banana zucchini bread – make sure to try these other banana bread recipes:
Zucchini Banana Bread
Zucchini banana bread is ultra moist, extra tender and the most flavorful banana bread you’ll eat. It’s not too sweet so it’s perfect for breakfast, and seriously the most delicious way to use up all your fresh zucchini.
Servings: 10 slices
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , melted
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 medium bananas , mashed
- 1 cup grated zucchini*
Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
Line a 9×5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper, or grease and flour the bottom & sides.
In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda & salt.
In a separate large bowl whisk together the melted butter & sugars until no lumps remain.
Whisk in the eggs and vanilla extract.
Stir in the mashed bananas.
Gently fold the flour mixture into the banana mixture. Then fold in the grated zucchini.
Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 50-60 minutes or until the top is firm/slightly springy to the touch and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.**
Cool fully before slicing.
Calories: 298kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 67mg | Sodium: 137mg | Potassium: 264mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 24g | Vitamin A: 405IU | Vitamin C: 6.3mg | Calcium: 57mg | Iron: 1.7mg